Sometimes, it’s the simple things in life that can give us the most pleasure. Unfortunately, they are often the things that we don’t take enough time to truly appreciate and treasure. So stop, look around, breathe deeply and take a moment to drink in the small things. Pay attention to the simple pleasures in life that make you smile on the inside and out. Here are a few of mine this week…
1. Finally we have seen a glimmer of sunshine this week after what feels like an eternity of rain and grey skies. Sitting in the garden looking at the bright blue sky and watching the clouds float past has been a lovely way to relax at the end of the day.
2. Going out for Sunday lunch with the family yesterday. We found a lovely pub called The Malt Shovel in Brearton, a pretty little village near Harrogate. My girls absolutely adore their Aunty Danielle and Uncle Gez and, since they moved to Yorkshire from Newcastle just before Christmas, it’s been lovely having them close by and being able to spend lots more time together.
3. After lunch, it was back to theirs for some amazing rhubarb and rosehip cordial gin cocktails. We were going to sit out in the garden and drink them in the glorious sunshine, but then the heavens opened! British weather really is rubbish!
5. We found an old fashioned sweet shop that stocks all my old childhood favourites and I seriously thought I had died and gone to heaven! Mr L and I went a little crazy and came out with some of those thin jelly babies, spearmint chews, beer bottles, strawberry straws, chocolate limes (eugh, not my choice!), fruit pastilles, candy cigarettes and chocolate buttons with sprinkles. To say we got carried away is a bit of an understatement! That was yesterday and I’m slightly ashamed to say that there are only 2 chocolate limes left!
6. I usually buy white flowers for my kitchen but for the last few weeks I’ve been buying more colourful bunches, which have really been cheering me up on the days when the sun is nowhere to be seen. They also smell so nice every time you walk past!
7. Now we’ve booked our summer holiday, I’ve been spending a lot of time daydreaming about getting away from it all for a while. I can’t wait! I’m also a crazy list maker, so I’ve started on my packing/to do/places to see lists! Only 9 weeks to go…and counting every second!
8. In an effort to get bikini ready, I’ve been doing the 5:2 diet (update coming this week). That has encouraged me to try and eat a bit more healthily on feast days too and to try and give my body things that will actually do it some good. (Admittedly, finding that sweet shop yesterday kind of threw a spanner in the works but it was Sunday, so I thought a treat was definitely allowed!) On my healthy eating quest, I’ve rediscovered the multivitamin fruit drink Purdey’s. I used to love this and drank it loads, then everywhere seemed to stop stocking it. When I saw it in Tesco – and on offer – I stocked up and have been loving it. I think it may be a bit of an acquired taste, but I think it’s delicious!
9. Buying fresh asparagus from our local farm was a real treat! The asparagus season is quite short, but we always try to visit Wharfedale Grange Farm to pick some up as it tastes so much better than the pre-packaged supermarket stuff. So delicious!
10. I’ll leave you with my naff inspirational quote of the week! Pretty self-explanatory, really, but I’ve been trying to bear it in mind this week.
Hope you’ve all had a great week! Have you been up to anything interesting?